Forum home Plants

Plants you don't like...are there any?

LoanaLoana Posts: 427

out of choice i would not have, crocosmia (spelling?) lilac, nasturtiums, forsythia ( i think its called that, yellow flowered woody stemmed bush) they all give me bad memories of childhood.....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

Lots. that pink and white willow ?Flamingo

Dahlias, except a few of the species ones

Dip dyed heathers

gazanias and anything that looks like them

Huge flowered  fuchsias, I like the more refined versions

Tree ferns, except where tree ferns grow naturally

Anything trained like a lollipop

Leylandii

That'll do for now

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

THERE ARE LOTS OF PLANTS THAT I DON'T LIKE. QUITE A LOT OF THEM ARE IN MY GARDEN.

THERE IS A PARTICULARLY VICIOUS GOOSEBERRY THAT DOES A DONALD TRUMP ON ME EVERY TIME I BEND OVER NEAR IT.

BUT I KEEP IT BECAUSE ITS FRUIT ARE PARTICULARLY DELICIOUS

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 696

Acanthus! The variety we had was so invasive it threatened to take over a long border, we never got it all out and it would pop up only to be hacked down again. Bergonias are another plant I don't like, they look very artificial to my untrained eye. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512

I like fancy fuchsias as long as they have good colour Nut, but in small quantities in hanging baskets. Love the more dainty flowered ones except when they're a very pale wishy washy pink.

Have to agree about leylandii and tree ferns.

I loathe euphorbia - unattractive plants with nasty sap.

Hypericum - Rose of Sharon - had to clear a 3 metre bed of it once.  Absolute nightmare of tangled, congested roots.

African marigolds.

Proteas

Bamboos and other "jungle" plants in non-jungle climes.

Palm trees that are not on a tropical beach.

Impatiens, most tropical orchids and all begonias.   Nasty, plasticky looking things.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,825

Aucuba japonica 'Golden King'  - loathe it with a passion image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 490

HI All,

I agree with Nutcutlet about the pink and white flamingo thing .... always seems to have an ugly graft ... and the dip dyed heathers are just cruelty.

I just can't get on with bergenias .... coarse looking leaves .... often scruffy .... and don't seem to go with anything.

Bee 

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,200

Roses. I detest the things.

Anemone japonica, worse than Bindweed and Ground elder combined.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,297

Don't really like Fuchsias but inherited two large ones with garden so embrace them as best I can.

Agree African Marigolds are naff. Bright Orange and bright pink flowers in general can often be a bit garish for my taste. 

Don't like Cordylines and similar looking plants.

Feel bad disliking any plant really - suppose its all about the setting? 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Thanks everyone, isn't that interesting, i am surprised that so many of you really do have plants that you don't like...shows we are all different....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

I could go on

but I won'timage