Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Primroses

Hi all, looking for tips on how to get the best out of primroses. I find that the leaves grow so that they cover the emerging flowers. I usually just cut these off to expose the flower., but it's a bit fiddly and not sure if I'm just encouraging more leaf growth. Is this happening because they need dividing? Would love to hear how people get the best flowering out of them.

Thanks for reading Sue

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Primula vulgaris (the wild primrose) or bright coloured garden plants?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Both!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think it's the nature of the wild ones, it's part of their charm. Maybe you need to choose some different varieties, the longer stemmed ones.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

If you're feeding them, stop, that might be the reason you're getting a lot of leaf. But the flowers do have short stems.image

• Thanks, no not feeding them, just want to see their bright faces!

• I find that the flower stems of native primroses continue to grow and get longer through the season. Anyone who spent every spring in their childhood will remember this. The first flowers are snuggled down in the crown of the plant but just leave them alone and the later flowers will be much more visible. 

Don't remove leaves! You'll weaken the plant and you'll get a shorter period of flowering. 

When the flowers are over the leaves will grow even more - that is the time to lift and split your larger clumps and have even more beautiful clumps of spring sunshine next year. 

And don't forget, the primrose is a flower of damp hedge banks and woodland edges, they need dappled shade, not bright sunshine. 

Last edited: 28 November 2016 08:21:56

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks Dove, will have more patience and stop snipping off leaves.

• Hi Mike

I'm asking about both!  The common and the brightly coloured as have both. I've also got cowslip but obviously not a problem with flower visibility there! And was asking about dividing too. Thanks Sue

• Native cowslips flower later than primroses and need different conditions - more sunshine and better drainage. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.