Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Are these Verbena bonariensis seedlings?

Hi all,

Just wondering if these could be verbena bonariensis seedlings that have seeded under a 2 litre pot of main plant or maybe just weeds?

if i keep them indoors over winter on a windowsill i was hoping they might survive.

I wish there was an easy way of identifying weed seedlings from plants i'd like to keep.

Thanks all image

• Oh btw this is the lollipop verbena bonariensis if that makes a difference :)

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They don't look like Vb to me but I have no idea what a lollipop one is.

Too shiny and smooth edged

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,474

http://theseedsite.co.uk/sdg1.html

Found this seedling ID site. I'm sure there's others

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Oh well image Should have taken some cuttings of the main plant earlier. I think lollipop looks the same but is just shorter. This is the main plant now.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Plenty of time to take cuttings next year, you might need to protect it a bit if we have a harsh winter, depending on where you live. Right up against the house is good if you haven't got a GH. 

The seedlings will probably vary. The fancy varieties rarely seed true, are closer to the original species (tall in this case)

Keep a look out in spring, the seeds might germinate then

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Agree with Nut; those are not Verbena bonariensis seedlings.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Thanks allimage