Gardeners' Barrier Cream

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good barrier cream? Thanks.

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 690

Garden gear do a hand barrier cream that is supposed to be good, my friend uses it, I believe swarfega also do a barrier cream too. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,273

YES, SWARFEGA DO DO A BARRIER CREAM.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swarfega-Protect-Pre-work-Cream-Cartridge/dp/B006K9MSNC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I KNOW SOMEONE WHO SWEARS BY IT. I AM UNFORTUNATELY TOO DISORGANISED TO REMEMBER TO USE IT MYSELF.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

the body shop do a "hemp" cream, excellent for preventing chapped,cracked hands, i used to use it a lot when i worked all day with horses....my husband who is a reed thatcher uses e45 on his hands, especially at night on the splits in his fingers, it soaks in overnight ?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,923

The hemp cream is excellent - although I don't care for the smell much.

Olive oil is pretty good but is quite oily (no surprise there). 

Experience has taught me that the best barrier is prevention - namely gloves... but I always seem to remember this after it's too late! 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Yes aunty rach i forgot to mention the smell of the hemp one ?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,923

It's a shame about the smell. Maybe it's like when medicines taste awful but do you good? 

I usually have several hand creams on the go - it's my Holy Grail to find one that is very effective, not too greasy plus smells amazing (and not cocoa butter - yuk!) ...

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Not a barrier cream, but amazing for hubbie and I after heavy building or gardening work: O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream. It's priced higher than most hand creams but on our xmas list.

As it does the job - you notice the difference in less than a week - and doesn't sting on overworked hands. Also no smell.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,777

Hello , I do wear gloves in garden & allotment but some jobs you need to use your hands image

Do use hand cream as well image