Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New Bare Rooted Rose Bush Question?

Hi Everyone,

I have just bought two Bare Rooted Hybrid Tea Rose Bushes Mail Order,

They seem perfect but one bush has only one main stem and the other just two stems both quite short. In particular for the rose with only one stem, how will I manage to create a meaningful bush with just this one stem, is it even possible or will I have to take training steps and wait for many growing seasons?

I just want to know before I get my hopes up expecting two mature Rose Bushes from these two plants next year summer?

One is called Superstar (orange blooms) The other is Prima Ballerina, (pink blooms).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thanks,

cliff

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Patience and good care are needed.  Soak the roots in a bucket of water for at least an hour and preferably overnight.   Plant in well prepared holes with plenty of good quality compost worked into teh soil and, if you can, scatter some microrhizal fungae on the roots as you plant them.  It has to be in direct contact.

Plant them with the graft union an inch or two below the soil surface and water well.   If heavy frosts are forecast, protect them with some horticultural fleece so the tips of those shoots don't freeze.   Come spring, they should start shooting from buds on those stems and that will give you your bushy plant.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,024

That does seem a bit mean. You could contact the company and ask them to change them. But Obelixx's advice is good and they should make new stems next year.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thanks Obelixx and Busy-Lizzie

I did do as Obelixx said in terms of prep and planting, and I think they should be ok, They are in containers. But as Busy-Lizzie added, and as I suspected, it is a bit mean. I guess I will have to wait a few years for the single stem in particular to look half decent. I thought about complaining but they are ebay bought and the price was quite low so I guess that's the compromise.

Oh well as long as they grow in any case that will be a start.

thank you both for your advice and help.

cheers,

cliffimage

• Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153

New shoots should sprout up from the buried graft union in the spring, when it comes out of dormancy, you might get a bushier shrub quicker than u thought.?

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Hi Bright Star,

Thanks for telling me that, it's good news and I look forward to seeing them grow!

Cheers,

cliffimage

• Hi Aym280,

Thank you very much for your great pictures, to be honest, although marked down in price, all of your plants seam to have had more stems on than mine, which is why I was a bit concerned about my prospects. But the other guys here have assured me that mine should do well in time. I will wait and see, here are what they look like now:

image                   image

Cheers,

cliffimage

• Cliff - those will be fine.  Just don't keep them anywhere warm which will encourage those buds to break before the spring as they will be cut back by frost.

Aym -  yours have lots of new shoots growing - these will be vulnerable to frost damage and you may need to be prepared to do some cutting back in the spring.

Please remove the rubber bands - they will damage your roses.  They are to confine the shoots within packaging before sale and not for any other purpose.  

I would have planted all of those roses deeper, with the graft union 3 to 4 inches below the soil surface. 

http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/advice-and-inspiration/how-to-plant-a-bare-root-shrub-rose/ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks very much Dovefromabove,

I really appreciate your help and encouragement. Being in containers as you see I was a bit stuck for planting depth, but I suppose I can mulch the area up around each plant base with compost to cover the point on the stem you have pointed out. Hopefully that should make them more secure.

Thanks again,

cliff.

• Looking forward to seeing some lovely blooms on those bushes next summer Cliff - you will show us how they do won't you?  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks guys,

Dovefromabove, sure I will come back next year and show you how they do, thanks againimage .

Aym280, thanks for your tip on buying, I might take a look later in the year, we have a few pound shops near me. Sorry you had an annoying moment! Hope the bushes turn out well.

Thanks,

cliffimage

Last edited: 26 November 2016 18:21:27