Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best plant bible

Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Looking for recommendations for the best plant Bible or Bibles. I'd be rude to turn down the offer of any book you'd like from your children.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

Tricky one.I now use the internet more than books!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Umm not sure about a plant bible, but i love my month by month guide written by Geoff Hamilton, with lots of useful tips...the internet is a wealth of information nowadays, but i agree you can't beat a great book, i'll keep an eye on your post to see what other folks suggest? ;) 

• For me, with one of my particular interests being trees and shrubs, I'd have the Hillier Manual of Trees and Shrubs, which has proved invaluable over the years. There are no pictures, the text is minimal, but the nomenclature is right, well researched and up to date.  Second would be my Collins (Wild) Flower Guide, because wild flowers are what started me on the horticulture trail

H-C   

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

That's the one I use when not looking on the internet! image

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153

i use that one too madpenguin but  I'd be interested in other recommendations  too

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I would love to hear from nutculet as well. Thank you for contributions. Hortum, that's a good one.

• I've got so many ... but the one that's been used the most is John Cushnie's How to Prune - clear and utterly reliable image

It's even got muddy thumb prints on some pages 'cos it's been taken out into the garden so I can really understand what I need to do. 

Last edited: 22 November 2016 18:50:12

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Thanks panseyface for the recommendation, i just bought a copt seconhand from amazon for £4.00 inc postage bargain! It can go in my she-shed with my gardeners world magazines ;) 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I still like a book though I use a lot of on line resources now.

The Roger Phillips/Martyn Rix series is good. Shrubs. Perennials in 2 volumes. Wild flowers. Grasses and more.

I have a huge RHS book with thousands of plants but I don't like it muchimage

Books on a single genus or species cover more in depth. eg Christopher Grey-Wilson's Poppies. 

More recently a couple by Dan Hinkley, The Explorer's Garden; 'Shrubs and Vines' and 'Perennials'

The old Reader's Digest book is good but too many name changes over the years and, being in alphabetical order, it makes things hard to find.

Assorted wildflower guides, some better than others, some might go to the charity shop  when I get round to it

Plantfinder in case I forget how to spell something

Hillier's Trees and Shrubs

Assorted Christopher LLoyd, but I don't recommend the later ones which are all glossy pics and less Lloyd wit.

I've probably forgotten something important

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,473

The old reader's digest with the hessian cover is good plus the GW site for experience tempered with uptodatedness without ohimusthavethelateatestfashionableplantedness

In London. Keen but lazy.