Forum home Fruit & veg

Fallen figs

The branches of my neighbour's very large fig tree hang mainly in my garden.   Figs from this tree, both ripe and unripe, drop onto my flower beds directly underneath the tree.  Is it OK just to leave the figs as sort of compost or is it better to pick them up.   I have no personal use for them.  I would welcome advice. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

BY LEAVING THEM ON THE GROUND YOU WILL BE PROVIDING FOOD FOR WILDLIFE DURING COLD WEATHER.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I used to be ever so pleased to find a ripe fallen fig. The best of fruits. But, re your question, they're fine to leave and rot down or be snaffled by some grateful bird or mouse.  My old tree rarely bore many figs and the few we had one year were getting pecked at. I waited one day to see who it was and a female blackcap flew down to feed on a ripening fig. Must have been pleased to find food she was  used to where she came from.

H-C

• Thank for your replies.   I shall be happy to leave the figs as you suggest, especially for any black caps. I saw female black caps for the very first time early in the year (had to look them up!) so they seemed very special to me.