Forum home Fruit & veg

white flies

hi guys

picked some kale today and it's covered in white flies that seem to play dead until i sake the leaves then they jump off all over the place !there is also a white fluff on the underside of the leaves,  it brushes off but it's a bit off putting thinking somat's eat it aswell , these flies look a bit like tiny moths and they'r in my compost heaps also ,any thoughts as to get rid !nuke ,fire and brimstone,acid rain,soapy water ?,

waiting in antipitaion , Derby Duck

Last edited: 19 November 2016 21:08:19

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635

A few good sharp frosts should do the job. 

In the meantime, as you've probably found, they'll wash off in the kitchen sink. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110

If you put the leaves in your sink filled with water, add 2-3 drops of washing up liquid and give it all a good jiggle, they'll come off, then just rinse and go

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I don't use washing up liquid - just a sprinkle of salt in the water will kill them if you want to add something.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

The idea of a few drops of washing up liquid is that it decreases the surface tension of water, so rather than kill them, they just float off and down the plug hole..
    I always treat broccoli in this way to remove the waxy/dusty stuff that builds up over the growing season, only a couple of drops are needed then washed off

Each to their own

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,073

I always have terrible whitefly problems on all my brassicas but, as has been said already, they wash off with no problem. I think they do affect the growth of the plant though. I've always thought that the problem is that I grow all my brassicas under netting to keep out the butterflies so nothing can get in to eat the whitefly.

• wev'e had a few hard frost and saturday was frosty before i picked the kale ! i also covered my brassicas with nets and only took them off when the butterflies diserpeared so they have managed to dig themselfs in pretty well ,how about if i make a soapy spray up and give them a dose of that ? I can but up with brushing them off but I fear that if my wife sees them it may but her off the kale and all the other stuff I produce on the allotmentimage atb D.D.

Last edited: 21 November 2016 19:24:42

I think if you've had a hard frost, most of the beasties on the leaves will be dead now anyway.
    If you had a bucket with some water and just a few drops of washing up liquid, give the leaves a wiggle in that for a few seconds then rinse in another bucket of fresh water. I doubt there would be much left to upset your Mrs.
    My view is if there are creatures out there who want to eat my veg, it must be good healthy stuff ;)

• Pete8 says:

I think if you've had a hard frost, most of the beasties on the leaves will be dead now anyway.
    If you had a bucket with some water and just a few drops of washing up liquid, give the leaves a wiggle in that for a few seconds then rinse in another bucket of fresh water. I doubt there would be much left to upset your Mrs.
    My view is if there are creatures out there who want to eat my veg, it must be good healthy stuff ;)

See original post

thanks Pete I will give that a try ,D.D.