Forum home Fruit & veg

Choosing fruit plants

Location - Cornwall. 

We have a large, sunny southwest facing wall where we would like to grow fruit. However, it is prone to breezy conditions. Can anyone suggest fruit plants that are wind tolerant? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

FIRSTLY, WHAT SORT OF FRUIT ARE YOU LIKELY/UNLIKELY TO EAT.

I HAVE 17 TYPES OF APPLE. FORTUNATELY, I LIKE APPLES.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Interested in fruits like - fig, gooseberry, grape - softer fruits. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

RIGHT.

YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO SOMEBODY A BIT FURTHER SOUTH THAN ME THEN.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hi Kathy,

i am in South Devon on the coast quite Windy from the sea but rarely frost... Our house wall faces south west and we grow peach and apricot. Before we errected a veranda we had plenty of fruit but had peach leaf curl. If you can protect in spring with a plastic sheet they should be trouble free.

• Oh thank you - that's something for us to think about. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Have you thought about kiwi fruit?

• *hi to all    my wish list  for xmas has been put on our notice board in kitchen 2types apples/1lemon / and would like to hope I can grow a dwalf orange ( live  in durham in a dip between hills gets a bit windy  but I have a **8 ft wall to stop most wind )  all I want now is for step sons to notice) 

Last edited: 22 November 2016 08:39:16

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

Michael, i dont think an orange will be happy outside in Durham image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hi dovefromabove    thanks it was just a idea for the patio we have it full of flowers all year and something different no doubt some thin else will  come into   mind    dove  a question nothing untowards  but did you used to be on the site that terry wogan put on radio gardeners click ? I had a book with about * pages of names on and yours seems to ring a bell       Michael thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

I did join a few gardening sites way back Michael, so it might have been me. I don't think I posted on there much. This site, with all it's idiosyncrasies, is still the best site for gardening knowledge and friendly conversation. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh