Forum home Plants

Identify please

Clearing a border.  Large clump lifted.   What are they ? 

• Lord knows! Perhaps iris foetidissima? Does the broken rhizome smell? Were there any berries/orange seeds? 

H-C

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347

Have you just moved in? Were there any photos of the garden in the Estate Agent's particulars? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I don't think it's Carex, it reminds me of sisyrinchium.

Last edited: 19 November 2016 18:36:30

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368

not carex

sisyrichium, not convinced

Iris foetidissima, I don't remember the roots looking like that but I'm not going out in the dark to dig one up.

It seems to have come apart quite easily

Have you any pics of it still growing?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

I'm at a bit of a loss too.  The way the leaves join the roots and the roots themselves, remind me very much of leeks.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368

the roots are quite leeky aren't they, but the leaves seem to fan out more than leeks.

Potwoman are you there? is there any more info? smell? a photo of them growing? anything?

• Closer inspection deep into clump found a rhizome.    Iris I think.   How to propgate ? 

• imageimage

• Well, it's iris and those first bits were new side growths which hadn't formed rhizomes.  Check for smell, as I said first.  The leaves, bruised, have a distinctive (but not bad) smell, sort of meaty.  Propagation (if you want that particular one, I'd check), is easy. Just divide those rhizomes up and plant them where you wantbthem. If it's I. foetidissima then it's a useful plant for dry shade, not unattractive, but not showy. Seeds are bright orange

H-C

Last edited: 20 November 2016 09:01:07

• Thank you