Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberries

what do i need to do over winter with these strawberrie? if anything, do i need to cover from frosts or trim them back?

thank you

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,785

Strawberries are completely hardy so no need for frost protection.  Judging by the fruit on them, they look like everbearing varieties but the fruit won't ripen now, so remove the fruiting stems but leave the leaves on.  In the spring, cut off all of the old leaves and you're good to go.

Because of the weed suppressing fabric, you will need to feed them with liquid feed when they start flowering again next year.  Tomato feed would be a good choice.

Personally, I wouldn't use the fabric as it prevents you from putting down a layer of compost or (better) well-rotted manure each autumn to feed the soil.  It is useful if the soil is very weed infested but I would have it off after a couple of years and return to an autumn layer of manure and hoeing to keep weeds down.  Your soil will thank you for it in the long run. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you, yes i did think about the fabric and not being able to put any manure around them,same with the raspberrys i guess. Ive inherited it like this so not sure how long its been like it. I maybe able to cut the matting around them to get some manure around and then take the matting up this time next year. liquid feed is a good idea I'll definitely do that 

thanks