Forum home The potting shed

Memories of the past

The Navy Lark and Forces Favourites were two of my favourite listening in programmes when I was a lot younger and also because I was an RAF brat, then Hancock's Half Hour and when I was a little older listening to Radio Luxembourg under the bed clothes. TV soon took over!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,544

I loved the Navy Lark and Round the Horn as a child - I thought they were so funny but of course I didn't understand the humour.  Ma didn't really approve  but we still listened to them - now I realise that Ma knew they were rude but didn't really understand why. I suspect there were a lot of people like Ma image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I was born in 1957.I only remember, doctor who, the darlicks used frighten me hid behind the settee. Shirley bassey, Cathy kirby.Watch with mother.I had 2 older brothers they used to watch Dracula and I did, but that frightened me, it still does. There wasn't much TV around in those days. But even then i was into drawing, mom taught me how to knit and I taught myself to crochet. Mom had a old fashioned sewing machine where you use a pedal, i used to see up and down a piece of fabric not really making anything.:)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

Like Dove - the Navy Lark, Round the Horn (I have the complete series on CD) and I just about remember the Clitheroe Kid

Sunday evening in the bath listening to Mantovani's String Orchestra, dreading school the following morning.

And who can forget the Black & White Minstrel Show..... (am I allowed to say that? image)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I loved the Black & White Minstrel Show as a child - of course I didn't understand the cultural significance then - nowadays it really shows how many of the horrors of life were disregarded by so many for so long.

However, I used to practice doing high kicks during the programme, and still have ambitions of being a Television Topper when I grow up  image

Last edited: 18 November 2016 09:22:50

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

Maybe I didn't mention it was a tin one in front of the coal fire and I was the 3rd to use the water....

(it's wasn't really) :) but it was for my Mum and Dad

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

The Navy Lark, Hancock's Half Hour, I was a member of the Ovaltinies on Radio Luxemburg.  Also the ventriloquist on radio ...........how mad was that?

SW Scotland
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I had an early introduction to Monty Python in the late 70's thanks to older brothers who played Python albums on the record player.

Laughed through my teens with The Young One's, Blackadder, Friday Night Live stand up and Vic Reeve's Big Night Out.  

Sang along to Top of the Pops, The Tube and of course Sunday nights Top 40 on the radio, which I used to record on cassette to play through the week on my Walkmanimage

Last edited: 18 November 2016 09:39:44

Kitty - you might have guessed that we too are big Vic Reeves fans image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

image Dove. Yes, totally weird and surreal at times. Had me in stitches.

Kitty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBRNSEuk8mo  I always loved The Man with the Stick image