Forum home The potting shed

GET IN THE MOOD

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,488

LAST YEAR OUR FAVOURITE "SHEFFIELD CAROLS" PUB HAD A SURPRISE VISIT FROM NBC, THE AMERICAN NEWS CHANNEL, COMPLETE WITH CAMERAS AND MICROPHONES. WORD HAS SPREAD AS FAR AS THE USA OF OUR STRANGE CAROL SINGING TRADITION.  THEY FILMED US, WARTS AND ALL. AND THERE ARE QUITE A FEW WARTS IN THERE.

THE CAROL SINGING SEASON BEGINS THIS WEEK AND CONTINUES UNTIL NEW YEAR'S DAY. ANYBODY IN THE SOUTH YORKSHIRE/ NORTH DERBYSHIRE AREA CAN GO ALONG AND JOIN IN, THERE ARE VERY FEW TUNES THAT ANYONE WILL RECOGNISE, ALTHOUGH IN ONE PLACE THEY DO SING "WHILE SHEPHERDS WATCHED" TO THE TUNE OF "ON ILKLEY MOOR" (TRY IT.)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/why-youve-never-heard-these-full-guts-christmas-carols-n479541

IF ANYBODY FANCIES A GO, THE PROGRAMME IS AVAILABLE ON THE "LOCAL CAROLS" WEBSITE

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,488

I'VE JUST SPOTTED WHAT THE NEXT NBC STORY IS ON THE FOLLOWING VIDEO.

PEACE ON EARTH, GOODWILL TO MEN, BEGIN AND NEVER CEASE........

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 776

Loved it pansy! What a lovely tradition and everyone looked very happy, group singing is a great tonic especially when done like that.?

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

LOVED IT PANSY image

SW Scotland
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,541

imageimageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh