Forum home The potting shed

Shed problems - thoughts please

I would really appreciate any comments, advice or just a sense of perspective on my current shed problem.

The shed in question is on our allottment which backs onto a tree lined slip road to a large roundabout. The seclusion offered by the trees and shrubs means that anyone can climb the boundary fence unseen to gain access to the allotments. Over the past few years there have been break - ins to the sheds. If we padlock them we end up having to repair or replace the doors as they just break them down.

The current development which is really upsetting, is that there are a regular group of people, probably kids, who have taken over our shed as a place to smoke and hang out. I have to say that so far apart from leaving rubbish there has been no damage. Occasionally they leave the odd 10p. No one ever seems to see them so we have no idea how regularly or at what time they visit. We have painted the fence with anti climb paint but apparantly with the help of an old bike tyre and something to put on the fence, getting over is no problem. My husband thinks that as long as they are not damaging anything we should put up with it but I find it upsetting. It is a violation of my private space and I don't see why we should accept it. Any thoughts? Any thoughts are welcome.

Last edited: 15 November 2016 19:28:13

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Hi barbara, that is quite a dilema for you both and such a shame that your special place is being invaded....it sounds like you are trying to put them off or move them on...difficult to know what to do, if you report to police and they call on them one evening, chances are they could come back and do damage as they will be irritated that their fun has been spoilt? It could be worth a try though? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,484

LEAVE SOME UNCOOKED FISH IN THERE FOR A FEW DAYS....

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,206

Surveillance camera?   These can be bought quite cheaply these days for house security or watching wildlife and would provide proof of identity and trespass for the police both for your shed and the general vandalism..  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

DID I?

WHAT A NASTY LITTLE PERSON I AM.

MAYBE A COMFREY TEA BREWING ON THE SIDE MIGHT ADD TO THE AROMA.

DO YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL SUPPLY TO THE SHED? (NO. NOT THAT IDEA. YOU ARE WAY AHEAD OF ME.)

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

But what do you do with the nettles? I like the fish idea!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,532

Stinky kippers left there for a few weeks should do the trick image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

A NICE  "STAND" OF NETTLES JUST ALONG THE FENCE WOULD WORK IN SUMMERTIME.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,532

A notice on the door "Beware!  Hornets nest in shed - Pest Control called".

Youngsters are unlikely to know that it's the wrong time of year for hornets to be about.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Peter-T-Peter-T- Posts: 138

http://www.acetek.co.uk/id68.html

fake alarm box

small sign stating shed is alarmed