Forum home Plants

Pansy black spot

bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

I have recently planted violas in tubs how ever they are suffering from pansy leaf spot I have read that it is a air Bourne disease and is normally already in the plants prior to the buying of them from the garden centre does any one have a cure other than throwing them away as they really look poorly.

That said my garden centre have offered a few trays free of charge as a gesture of good will must be because I just spent another 300 quid on winter plants thanks as always Lester 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

RHS says the Bayer fungus products may give some control Lester. However if the GC has sold infected plants that falls under consumer legislation and you're entitled to your money back.

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

How I hear you but how can you prove it they were fine when purchased but may have been already infected but showing no sign at the point of purchase 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Well how long after you bought them did the blackspot appear. If less than a week then it's unlikely to have been anything local to where you planted them. If you look at the research it's more of a seed bourne pathogen than airborne and infection comes from badly sourced seed more often than any local conditions, which would all have to combine to cause an infection. Of you go back and look at all the other suppliers plants you'll probably find evidence of infection on the plants they're selling. If there is there's your evidence that they're infected prior to purchase.

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

thanks for the advice and your right about it being a seed virus any way spoke the my boss told him about the plants and he said he wants a full replacement and not just 2 trays s offered by the plant manager as that's insulting bearing in mind how much money he spends there.

I went to the owners son of the garden centre and he is going to replace hopefully all 15 trays because he realises how much I spend there my last order of winter plants was £264 will keep you all iformed as to the progress cheers Lester 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,413

That's good news Lester. Hopefully these will be fine image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh