'Dramatic' music in TV programmes

BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

It may just be me getting older, but I'm getting really fed up with loud 'thumping' music in documentaries and other informational TV programs.  Almost everything on the Discovery or National Geographic channels is becoming a pain in the ears!  Anyone else noticed this?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,072

Yes Bob, we are forever turning the volume up and down.   To loud one minute, bursting your ear drums the next.    You would think that wouldn't happen in this modern age would you.? 

• B3B3 Posts: 5,127

I find that as my hearing has deteriorated, it is difficult to filter out the music or the canned laughter. I wish that the producers of film and tv could have more confidence in the content of their programmes and let the words and pictures speak for themselves.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,595

COMPARE DAVID ATTENBOROUGH'S "ZOO QUEST" DOCUMENTARIES FROM THE 1950S WITH HIS MOST RECENT OFFERING.

HERE IS A BIT ABOUT KOMODO DRAGONS FOR COMPARISON.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6z_PjBppGY

WE ALL HAVE TO BE TOLD HOW TO REACT TO THINGS THESE DAYS. CAN'T BE LEFT TO MAKE UP OUR OWN MINDS ABOUT ANYTHING.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q05CSZAa8U

Last edited: 13 November 2016 12:00:22

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

PANSY, APART FROM THE NOISE FACTOR, THAT'S WHAT ANNOYS ME TOO.

I KNOW IF SOMETHING IS FUNNY OR SAD OR EXCITING. MUSIC IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY MIND.

IF THE CHIPS ARE SOGGY, THE BEST KETCHUP IN THE WORLD WILL NOT PERSUADE ME THEY TASTE GOOD.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,595

KETCHUP? KETCHUP?

WOT, NOT BROWN SAUCE?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

THAT WOULDN'T WORK EITHER,I'M AFRAID.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 9,654

My hearing is fine but yes, I've noticed this, too.  Plus the difference in volume between any programme and the advertisements....which are really loud in comparison.  Now we just mute the telly every time there's an ad break.

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland☔
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 11,283

"THEY" IGNORE THIS COMPLAINT WHICH HAS GONE ON FOR SOME YEARS.

SW Scotland
  • Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,909

Having watched Planet Earth II (which was amazing) I was annoyed by the very loud accompanying music.
    I later read that they had asked Hans Zimmer to write the music - must have cost a fortune, but WHY?

If I want to listen to music I put the radio on.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruined an excellent program, but it was overly loud and unnecessary