Forum home The potting shed

Compost Corner

imageimageimageimageimage Have I got enough?

Devon.

• B3B3 Posts: 15,010

Those compost handbags look like a good idea

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Imagine getting on the bus with them, though! 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'm hoping to get one more go over with the mower and leave the rest for the worms.

Devon.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Highly impressive stackage there Hosta? image

The bags in pic one alone would fill my tiny garden wall to wallimage

Glad to see you finally got the photos to work for you image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,711

Wowee Hosta. That is an impressive collection. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,209

Love the giant handbags.   Might have to try and get some of those.   Our new local council sells wooden, flat pack compost bins for 30€.  We have 3 so far but maybe some more of those too as this garden has mature trees with falling leaves.

Last edited: 12 November 2016 13:01:53

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

I use builders bags for leaves too.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

Wowimage

Plan to collect leaves next weekend - builders bags looks a great idea.  Do you cover them with anything?  And how long before they are ready to use ?

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

I cover the ones with mown leaves and grass,because it helps it heat up. I use another bag,weighted down. Just leaves are left open. It takes a year to go down by half, I then tip one of half rotted leaves into another and leave another year before use. Like Hosta,I am getting a row of them by the back fence under the top Oak.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'm aiming to have those empty be next summer. Mulch deeply as herbaceous stuff gets under way and leave in situ for the rest of the season and it's gone.

I don't cover mine, just leave sun/ rain and wind to do their stuff.

Devon.