Forum home The potting shed

the super vet

Hi all, I always watch the super vet on channel 4. It's a new series on Wednesday night. The last episode had a golden retriever puppy,about 4 or5 months old. He'd been attacked by another dog and badly mauld his lower jaw. But He was lucky because he wavs a puppy that all the blood vessels were very soft. He fixed him up and he was good as new. But I was crying it was so upsetting.image

Last edited: 12 November 2016 05:50:28

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,201

He is such a magic man and I do hope he is passing on all his skills to new super vets. I find it hard to watch as I cry all the time but love to hear about his seemingly impossible successes.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

He is a very clever man, some of his ops i question who are they being done for....the animal or the human....my beautiful dog has had 3 surgeries this year, a fracture piece removed from her elbow and both hind leg crucuates...it is heartbreaking. You have to question the animals quality of life post op and whether it can cope with the surgery, some is clearly more invasive than other procedures and their recovery must be taken into consideration. It takes a lot to rehab an animal that has had surgery. it has been a year round since my dog began to limp, only a CT scan identified a small fracture in her elbow. it was removed in Jan. Then her cruciate went in her left leg, repaired June, then due to the extra strain on the right leg following surgery to the left ( we were advised this could happen ) her right cruciate went. Repaired 19th Sep, now 9 weeks on she is doing fab,a long haul of dedicated care daily for over a year. We love her dearly and she is happy :) 

I hope i haven't offended anyone with my comment on who he is operating for, every animal deserves a chance of a pain free life, to get to that point it may have to endure weeks and weeks of painful rehab, it is clear that all things are considered, but it is hard for the pet owner to appreciate just what that care entails until they actually have to do it, and we do it because we love our pets. I am sure that some of his prcedures would work in hunans :) 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Usually I don't, but this time I did. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,934

Listening to radio interviews about the prog it seems that quite a few of the procedures can be/have since been used on humans. 

I share Loana's concern about the animals quality of life. I've nursed a young dog through a series of major ops on her hind legs ... It was groundbreaking at the time and the information gained by the vets at the animal hospital has since resulted in  improved outcomes for similar conditions now. But my poor dog suffered pain and distress and was confused and in the end was euthanised because the outcome for her was not good enough. image

Last edited: 12 November 2016 07:26:46

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,201

Me also scroggin - set me off again.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

This is the issue dovefrom above, it is heartbreaking to see our pets suffer and we do everything we can to help and repair them. My lovely girl did struggle at times with her rehab and i was there every minute i could be, getting up through the night and taking time off work to care for her. She had a set back about a month ago and i thought she was going to die, it was unrelated to her ops but she had picked up a bug somewhere and as her immune system was lower than it should have been, the bug hit her hard, i was in tears for hours wondering if she would pull through. I just wanted her to have some fun times after this year of surgery, lovely walks and days out with us, she is pampered and why shouldn't she be ;) fingers crossed all is well now. We know that arthritis may cause her pain later in her life as a result of surgery, we will deal with that when the time comes, meanwhile she has a wonderful life and we do too sharing it with her....

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Loana, your right in what say. But if my vet said we don't have to put the dog to sleep I would go with it. Because I know my vet, I trust him. When moss had a op on his bottom jaw he had pain killers.image

Dovefromabove, you did what was right.image

Scroggin, it is.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,934

Logan image When it happened our vet was a young woman near my own age. We knew we'd done all we could but couldn't ask the dog to put up with any more. Her head was in my lap as she went to sleep. Then the vet and I hugged as we cried on each other's shoulder. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh