Forum home The potting shed

Monday's Supermoon

Don't forget Mondays Supermoon.

The Moon is closest to the Earth at 11:23hrs (11:23am) on Monday 14 November 2016 when the distance between the centres of our two worlds will be 221,525 miles (356,510 kilometres). But we won't see this from the UK as the moon is out of sight below the horizon.

Full Moon occurs at 13:52hrs (1:52pm) on Monday 14 November 2016 when the sun, moon and our planet are perfectly aligned to give us a full moon. The Actual moment of the Supermoon. But we won't see this from the UK as the moon is out of sight below the horizon.

BUT......................
Observers in the British Isles looking for the perfect opportunity to see the largest Supermoon ever since 1948 should find an unobstructed east-northeast horizon to witness moonrise in bright twilight at 16.46hrs (4:46pm) on Monday 14 November 2016.

The next BIG supermoon won't be until November 2034

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Thanks for telling us!

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I read an article in my local paper earlier this week about Monday's SUPERMOON and was looking forward to seeing it ?

Then I checked out the weather forecast..... Heavy cloud☁☁☁?

Hope others have clearer skies ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,544

The forecast for us doesn't look promising either image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,720

Hope the cloud doesn't spoil the view of this spectacle. I wonder if there will be any global effects from this eg. large tides or weather changes? We always say to expect some strange behaviour from patients on full moon night so I wonder what this Supermoon will bring?!...

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Nice Birthday pressy for prince Charles.

Devon.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,444

Hello , was planning to have a look , even get my telescope out 

Anybody taking pictures ?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,719

I will be attempting to see it. Hope that the clouds stay away.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Doubt it'll be clear enough here, but I've been taking pix regularly of the moon on the many clear cold nights here recently, as well as the Harvest moon in September

Thursday night

Last night - camera couldn't pick up the definition on it very well - too bright!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....