Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Planting courgettes

• We put a dozen cougette seeds in the ground in April and they have since taken over our small vegetable garden... We have long run out of recipies and find it hard to give them away to neighbours, as most have also grown their own. When you are here in San Diego, California, cougettes can sometimes be too easy!
  • LAST YEAR I GREW COURGETTES WHICH DEVELOPED MILDEW AND ROTTED WHEN ABOUT 3 INCHES LONG. I HAVE TRIED AGAIN THIS YEAR AND WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY TIPS TO PREVENT IT HAPPENING AGAIN
  • I planted out my butternut squashes last week - my favourite variety - but the other varieties have been in for more than a fortnight here in my sheltered little corner of South West London.
    Jane, why don't you plant them closer together? I always reckon two or three to a bed and I like it when the plants grow over the edges of the beds and along the paths - looks lush and generous and flourishing by late August!
  • I am tempted to sell some of my little courgettes at the local village fete as i planted loads (As i lost loads last summer) only for them all to germinate! Typical!
  • My courgettes have flowers on them but something keeps chewing them off. Thought of slugs - put down lots of slug pellets but the flowers are still getting chewed and then dropping off the plant. Any ideas?
  • I have never brought a butternut squash seed in all the years I have had an allotment. Buy one from your local greengrocer use it and save the seeds, they will last forever if stored under dry conditions, this also applies to marrows and pumpkins
  • Hi nice blog, I thought you may like to take a look at mine about growing Big Veg at: http://squidoo.com/fixerkev A little tip about courgette flowers you can clean them and dip them in lite batter and fry them untill golden just use the male flowers that will drop off anyway, they taste fantastic join my mailing list, email me at [email protected]
  • i have just got my first plot and had to spend last 3 weeks clearing it sounds far fetch but after cutting down 5ft high grass i found wot i can only discribe as a secret garden the old boy who had it before me sadly passed away leaving me a plot with over 18 damson trees and a 10ft long scafold frame full of tayberries and blackberries
    unfortunately all have been left to go wild for last 3years what can i do with damson to help them trees will any thing grow with the amount of roots underground as not a large plot please help
  • Hello Pat Grimes
    Yes, I've had the same result with bird seed - some lovely plants that looked just like cannabis. My friends & family were highly amused. Don't know what effect it has on the birds!
  • I am a first time gardner,, and have got quite a few good veg that have popped up, i have 5 courgette plants of which 3 have started flowering (most flowers are quite big) The problem im having is the flowers keep falling off (From what ive heard that is bad, as it wont fruit.. how can i prevent that from happening??