Forum home Fruit & veg

Yellow toms

See below pics of my yellow toms.  I planted 6 plants from seed, 4 of these turned red and were great, but 2 plants would not ripen even though I did everything same as the others, including putting a mirror to reflect the sun on this in my cold greenhouse...  anyone know why this is please?  Many thanks Tony.

image   image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,111

It may the the colour interpretation on my screen, but they look like a mostly ripe yellow tomato.
    Is there any chance there were 2 varieties that you sowed?
    Have you tried one?

I would have thought the mirror would have embarrassed them to go red by now if they're supposed to image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

They look ripe to me image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,004

They look like a yellow variety which is ripe. Have you tried eating one?

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hi there, the seeds i planted where from a tomato bought in a supermarket it was a fabulous taste so i dug the seeds out of the tomato and sowed them (8) all came through i gave 4 to a friend and planted 4 in my cold greenhouse where they grew better and faster than my moneymakers even turning colour first, but now they are off the plant and indoors they have very thick skins not a lot of juice with very little taste it's a shame they look so good. I have now put them in a draw with some bananas to try to ripen them.

Try anything once Tony.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,004

They may have come from an F1 hybrid plant which doesn't always grow true to type.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,111

Quite right Busy-Lizzie - if the seed came from a hybrid, it will not come true.

So you have an entirely new variety of tomato, but not much compensation for the time and effort you've put in by the sound of it.

As another example - apples are so promiscuous each and every seed in an apple will produce a new variety.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

I would cut them in half and roast them in a slow oven with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt and a little crushed garlic if you like it.  Then pop in a container and freeze and use to make pasta sauces etc - you'll find the flavour much improved.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for all that,pasta sauce it'll be then ! Or I shall market it as a tomato for people with no taste lol.