Forum home Plants

bird of paradise (White)

Hello,

I have a white bird of paradise.  I bought the house 3 years ago with the plant already established.  Due to neglect it had only 2 leaves on it.  now its massive.  I have heard that the Whites are hard to bloom.  Does it need to get bigger?? Or is there something I can do to get it to bloom?imageimageimage

It does have lots of pups.  I have left them.  Do I need to remove them?

It is in a pool room and gets lots of light, but I have also put a grow light beside it.  I fertilize it about every 3 - 4 weeks and it gets watered every couple of days.

Thanks

• It's looking very healthy and is probably feeling far too good, what with all the tlc and fertilizer.  Plants flower in order to procreate and further the species - as yours is finding the environment very much to its liking it has been furthering the species by producing offsets  - it may feel more inclined to flower if it thinks its life is getting tougher and its days may be numbered.  I would withhold the fertilizer .

I wouldn't remove the offsets unless the root space is getting too crowded.  

Good luck - it will look marvellous when it does flower image

Last edited: 08 November 2016 18:34:36

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh