Forum home Plants

Can i compost fallen leaves

sooty5sooty5 Posts: 107

Hi everyone , My Cherry tree has just shed its leaves and i have tried in the past to make leaf mould from them with little success . I have a small garden and wondered if i just put them in the compost bin would they decompose by next year ? Has anyone tried this ? 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

They shouldn't go in the compost bin,they take longer to rot down. If you put them in a black bag with holes in let them rot down for a year then put them in the compost bin, see if that works.image

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

i would like they should compost well, we have 8 oak trees and soooo many leaves. We pile them on our compost he and some in our garden bin, as there are so many....then i barrow it around the garden when it is ready.. ;) 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,026

I have always added leaves to our compost heap (not a bin,an open heap) and they have always rotted down well. Oak leaves maybe a lot slower than some, but Cherry should decompose easily if mixed with other material.

I confess to running the lawn mower over them, but that is to pick them up. However, it does shred them up a little which obviously helps them break down in the heap.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,523

We mow them up and put into a bag. Then when we cut the grass next spring, the wet grass cuttings get mixed with the oak leaves. It heats up, a few turnings and it is done. A lot faster than leaf mould.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 13,253

Like fidget, I make a separate heap for leaves, to which I add some grass in Spring and this seems to compost more quickly.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Yesterday I turned my compost bins (year old); the leafs were the only recognisable thing in there. They do compost but take a little bit longer. I've just thrown them back in the compost bin for the next turning in spring.

This autumn I'm throwing all my leafs in a separate compost bin.

• Anne17Anne17 Posts: 98

I just had a look at last years bags of leaves. As far as I can tell, I still have bags of leaves, albeit, slightly squashing. Look to be a long way off Monty's friable leaf compost

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 3,733
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • sooty5sooty5 Posts: 107

Thanks everyone , still not sure what to do though . Anne that is what i have always found, Haven't room for another compost heap or bin so maybe it's down to bags again and patience.