Forum home Fruit & veg

Horseradish woes

We planted Horseradish in our raised vegetable bed 2 years ago.  It has gone rampant.  We tried to dig it out a year ago, but it has come back more vigorously.  We have now dug down one metre, into solid clay, and the roots are still going straight down.

We did spray with Glyphosate a couple of weeks ago, and the leaves all died down, but I have a feeling that deep in the roots it is still alive.  We have cut the stalk down to one metre below ground.  

Is there anything we can spray on the exposed part of the root/stalk? It's our veggie patch, so must not be toxic.  

I am also considering putting a barrier/membrane down, but I think it will to be very solid.  Help??!!

• Weedkillers such as Glysophate tend to take a while to get down to the roots.  The tops may appear to be dead but that's not the end of the story by any means. You might have been a little late in the year using it ? 

There is little non toxic stuff that you can use to kill something - if it is intended to kill, it is toxic - whether to Horseradish or anything else.

Digging out is really the only answer I think but perhaps someone else has a good plan ?

Best of luck anywayimage

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 400

When I told my dad I was planting some horseradish last year he laughed and said, "Well I hope you REALLY like horseradish, 'cos you're going to have it for a long time." I planted two roots and at the end of the season meticulously dug them up and froze them in sections, each about the right size for a portion of horseradish sauce. Early this spring I saw two or three new horseradish babies appearing and dug them right up and since then - no sign of it. Perhaps I just got lucky, and it doesn't like my soil overmuch...

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Quite frankly I think the garden centres, and catalogues that sell horseradish are irresponsible; unless people are really aware of how the plants can spread!

• You could say the same about many of the plants for sale - surely at least part of the responsibility lies with the purchaser doesn't it ?  

Business will try and sell you anything - you have the say in what you buy and what you turn your nose up at.  It's up to the individual to look a little more closely I think and not expect to be guaranteed against all risks.

For sure, we all make mistakes in the garden ( and elsewhere) - that's how you learnimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Oh I agree, Caveat Emptor.  So how is it that the OP planted it.  Not everybody is as wise as Phillipa.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

I grow mine in a big plant pot, only way to ensure it does not spread all over the place.

• Welshonion....I may well be wise but it is quite often "after the event" as opposed to beforeimage  

• I love fresh horse radish sauce, I didn't know you could get too much image

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,289

I planted one in a long tom (those tall, thin terracotta pots) and was quite happy with how it was going but wanted to move the pot a couple of months later to find that the root had gone through the hole in the bottom and into the gravel path (terrible soil but did it care? no!).  It took a fair bit of strength to snap off that blighter and the "soil" (almost concrete) was too hard to dig so I hit it with a mattock and duly crushed, it didn't come back.

They're tough.