Forum home Fruit & veg

Hazelnuts

Ok, not strictly fruit or veg but hazelnuts! Our neighbour has given us a bucketful. I never eat them normally let alone prepare or cook with them but do love them. Can I just stick them in the over for a few minutes until the shells split and then deshell them, or do I need to do this before putting them in the oven? Then, how can I store them? Many thanks

• I leave mine with shell on until I want to use themimage

• emma louemma lou Posts: 159

Then what? I have read they go rancid quite quickly?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

As long as you keep them in the shell they stay fresh. You can roast them, add them to pavlova, cakes all sorts of cooking uses, caramelised nuts are gorgeous nice in brownies as well or just coated them in chocolate. Try the BBC food site and enter hazelnuts, loads of recipe's.

Great thanks. Do I need to roast them before using them in cakes etc or can I just shell them as they are and use them? I hear they can be bitter if not prepared properly?

• Don't know where you read that one Emma ?  If the nuts are good, they will keep in their shells until ready for use.  Just think what you buy in the shop - shell on = longer life.  Shelled = shorter life.image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

That was exactly as I understood it Chrissie thank you. Are they find in cakes straight out of the shell. I presume roasting the,misnjust when we want to eat them fresh? I also presume for cakes, brownies etc they are fine just shelled?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,913
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,444

Hazelnut butter! Shell them, roast in the oven for about 15 minutes then blitz them in a food processor until they turn into nut butter. Can take anything between 5 and 15 minutes to get to the right consistency.