Forum home Wildlife gardening

Starlings

2»

• I am forever seeing Starlings attracted in large groups to radar/cell phone masts. Sitting right next to microwave dishes has to be harmful to their lives and possibly to their reproductive system. This is just a guess as to why they are declining by 60% but is something to consider. It's a possibility?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,671
    They’re declining in number due to the use of pesticides resulting in the decline in the number of grubs and invertebrates in grassland and also the decline in the amount of grazing leys where they can feed on these invertebrates. 
    This is why, if we can manage to have lawns/grass without treating them with chemicals to kill chafer grubs and leather jackets then we certainly should. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,748
    I saw my first small murmuration of the season last weekend.
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,736
    This is why, if we can manage to have lawns/grass without treating them with chemicals to kill chafer grubs and leather jackets then we certainly should. 
    Or nematodes.

My starlings have only just returned this year. I dont see them during the summer but they come en masse in the winter.
    We live next to a dairy farm and they invade the cattle sheds in winter to eat the food.
    Devon.
  • A dozen or so visited the bird feeders earlier in the week.
    We have always seen the flocks flying around in winter, but have never had garden starlings. Last year some found the feeders for the first time and I was delighted to see them back again this year. There was a flock of greenfinches yesterday too - better order some more  bird seed!
    TBH, I find they  bully the wee tits and sparrows in the garden. I wish they'd stay in the fields next door.
    Devon.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,161
    I was annoyed that the starlings bullied the smaller birds so as they only seem to be interested in the fat balls I hung them in a different area and they now fight among themselves leaving the smaller birds in peace.  :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,021
    We currently have alternating flocks of fieldfares and starlings.   So far, when they do swoop, it's to peck over the weeds in the gravel patch behind us.  It's quite large and I'm very pleased to see them as it's a nightmare of stone chips so any weed seeds and unfriendly bugs they get is a boon.  They don't visit the feeders but the starlings do wtrip the fig tree in summer, long before any fruit are ripe enough for us.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw