Starlings

Can someone please tell me where all of ny starlings have gone.Up until 3 weeks ago I had dozens and I used to rush out like someone demented when they all descended on the bird table.They were eating me out of house and home and the  poor sparrows were confined to the hanging feeders.Now I haven't seen one for weeks and I am "kind of" missing them.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,198

Hi Bramble. Your post has struck a nerve with me as I was having a similar discussion with my neighbour about the disappearance of my starlings. Not just recently but over the last 2-3 years. Like you I used to have many - squabbling over the feeders and tormenting the little birds - they even nested in my eaves. I did get quite excited this year when half a dozen or so came into my garden but they were gone as quickly as they had arrived. I too miss their boisterous behaviour.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They gather at this time of year and roost en masse. It's both a feeding and safety strategy. Fieldfare, Redwing and wood pigeons do the same.

• Watch out for their massed flying  before going to roost - can't think of the word but fantastic neverthelessimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,669

methinks "mermeration" is the word

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,669

they arrive en masse here at this time of year. The dairy farmers hate them as they get into the cow barns to eat the feed , and erm, poop all over the place.

Devon.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

Think they're called murmurations Phillipa. (not sure of the spellingimage)

I find them mesmerizing to watch, an amazing sightimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,198

10/10 for spelling Kitty! Would still like to see mine back.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thank you Hosta and Kitty - murmuration it is image  Even here without the huge open skies, I've been able to enjoy the sight.  They can be messy and quarrelsome ( and eat my figs ) but I'm prepared to forgive them when they produce such a display.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,398

They roost on the local disused gasometer and drink the water left by the car washers in the supermarket car park. They ignore the distress calls played near the trolleys. What's not to like?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3 imageimage