Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee Hotel destruction

Hi,  This year I made a couple of bee hotels; one using hollow canes etc, and the other different drill holes in untreated wood.  Both had a high number of 'take-up's' and I was getting very excited until I went out and found that all the sealed holes were open.  Upon closer inspection it would appear that a bird had opened them all and a week later witnessed a blue tit having another go on the few remaining sealed holes.  I have since covered the hotels with chicken wire, but obviously this stops the bigger species using it.  Any advice as both miner and leaf cutters were using it (around 20 of the holes had been sealed before the damage).  I would like to have another go next year as it was fascinating watching them at close quarters.  Please help

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

WELL, YOU HAVE GIVEN THE BLUE TITS SOME FOOD, SO IT'S NOT A DISASTER.

IT'S JUST NATURE AT WORK, RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW.

MAYBE YOUR PLAN DIDN'T GO TO PLAN BUT IT DID HELP SOMEONE STAY ALIVE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi melspad, I had the same happen to my bee box, I believe the bees lay Several eggs from the back working forward so the bluetits can only get the ones near the entrance. I have covered the front of the box with a cover made from an unused pond plant container which I shall remove in the spring. Katrina 12