Forum home Tools and techniques

purple wheelbarrow - any good?

OK I'm a bit sad, but I really fancy a purple wheelbarrow to replace my ancient one which is collapsing.  My OH got one from Wyevale, but had to return it as the joints were already rusted.  Does anyone have experience of these barrows - the polypropylene tray makes them very lightweight (ideal at my age) but I need something that won't tip over and will last me out.  Any suggestions?   Thanks.

• Thanks Verdun.  I think that's the one we just bought and have tor return.  There was a time when weight would not have been a problem but these days weight is all important. 

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Try an equestrian site, robinsons, derby house, equestrian clearance or your local tack shop, they should be able to order you one, save on postage costs, lots of colours now, purple, pinks etc ;) 

• I just wondered if anyone had experience of using a polypropylene one. and knew how durable and stable they were...but thanks for all you suggestions - I'm sure I can find one somewhere.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I wish you luck in your quest. I have a four wheeled tipping trolley which is better for my requirements so can't help.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,770

They are lighter but not more stable than the traditional sort and they don't last as long because they don't dent, they chip. The four-wheelers are very stable but the one my OH has is heavy on hills and uneven ground.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you all for your help - I SHALL have one soon, of that I'm sure, even if I have to settle for boring green again.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I have a green one which I think is poly something or other. It didn't come from Wyevale.  It has rust on the metal bits. I'm not optimistic about the long term life of the green bit either. It may do for occasional light work if stored under cover but that's not what happens to barrows is it?

The builders' barrow, 40 years old and OH's favourite, is far too heavy for me even before it gets loaded. This may be due to the multiple layers of cement plastered inside and the extra bits of metal welded on to fill in the holes.

I have 2 'other' barrows which are 'well drained' .

we are a four barrow household because OH NEVER throws anything outimage