Forum home Fruit & veg

Crab apple jelly time.

Our crab apple tree didn't produce as much fruit as it usually does this year but I did get 4 small jars of jelly from it today. I am waiting for the bare root crab apples coming into the GCs this month. I'd like a John Downie for its larger fruit than the Malus Gorgeous I have. This is our tree and the jelly I made from its fruit. imageimage

Last edited: 01 November 2016 08:14:51

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,773

Well done homebird. A delicious reminder of the quiet productive work of your trees. Enjoy!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,913

I do like crab apple jelly - very useful stuff. I have to rely on the wild trees for my apples, I envy you having your own tree. 

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281

I had 2 John Downies in my garden in Belgium - one for me and one for the birds.  Good croppers.

None here but new neighbours gave me 4 kilos of quince so I've turned 3 into jelly and, doh!, have just realised we binned all my jam jars.  Pan off, lid on.  Shopping tomorrow.  Public holiday here.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I have one crab apple tree too.  It has pretty yellow fruits on.  I suppose it's quite labour intensive to make the jelly.  Maybe making toffee crab apple will be easier?   Does anyone have a recipe to share?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281

Crab apples have to be cooked.  Just dunking in toffee won't work.

You don't need to peel and core them to make jelly, just wash them and remove blemishes.   This is a good recipe.  Just ignore the rosehips and use all crab apples - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rosehip-crab-apple-jelly 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Jelly is hardly work. Chop up the apples.  Stew until the juice runs with maybe a little water to stop the apples catching..  Pour into a jelly bag.  Muslin nappies make good jelly bags.  Measure the juice and add the correct amount of sugar and boil to setting point.  Eh Viola! Sunshine in a jar.

• I just wash the crab apples, stew them whole, stalk and all, in my largest pan with only enough water to cover them. Pour the softened fruit into a bowl with a muslin cloth draped in and over it. Tie the muslin cloth corners together, thread string through the loops and hang it from my over bench cupboard door handle. Let it drip overnight into the bowl. Measure the liquid next day and add 7 parts sugar to 10 parts liquid. ( that's the only ratio I've found) pour into a large pan and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.

It doesn't matter what colour your crab apples are, the jelly always comes out a lovely pink colour. If you want clear jelly dont squeeze the bag, if you don't mind cloudy jelly you can squeeze more juice out. 

• I love quince jelly but never had the opportunity to make any. I only got one quince fruit from my quince....