Ladybirds

FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

We have 20 ladybirds in the corner of half a dozen (pvc) opening windows, about 10 in a glass lampshade, and loads more clambering to get in round the conservatory windows.image

SWMBO has to have the windows open a bit all the time so the little darlings just invite themselves in.

I do put bug houses round the garden,imageimage

Just wondering what others do.?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

I don't do anything except not open the French doors. They're all packed in round them and just fall on the floor, inside and out if disturbed. Otherwise they sort themselves out

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,429

If you need to move them I'd sweep 'em up with a brush and dustpan and deposit them in the greenhouse/garden shed/cold frame or under a hedgerow. 

I remember when we had a ladybird invasion on the East Coast in 2009  - in Cromer you couldn't walk along the clifftop without squashing hundreds of them. 

Apparently the collective noun for ladybirds is 'a loveliness of ladybirds' image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,154

I have bug houses that they live in but they also nestle in the spaces between leaf stalks and twigs/stems.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

New Year's Day 2016

is that you top left Ladybird?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

I've been knocking them off with a brush into a pot, and relocating them to the bug house.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

You 'spotted' me nutcutlet image

• B3B3 Posts: 11,334

I've seen three this year and two of them bit meimage

In London. Keen but lazy.

B3 you are obviously delicious!

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

Not really Tetley, I was wondering how others help them overwinter. What kind of house do they favour.?I've put out rolled corrugated cardboard in pvc tubing, and the usual bug houses.image