Growing Garlic Questions

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 377

Thanks Aym - I'll have a read of that later. Our plot is south-facing and I always try to put the garlic where it won't be shaded by other things, but we have had such unseasonal weather over the last few years - perhaps there's just not been enough sun in the spring and early summer?

• Loz46Loz46 Posts: 82

I grew garlic for the first time this spring. The foliage was fantastic, but unfortunately they all got quite severe rust, and so I had to pull them up prematurely. They were about 1.5-2 inches diamater I guess. Apparently autumn sown garlic is far less likely to suffer from rust, as the fungus doesnt materialise in spring until the bulbs will have pretty much all of their growing. 

I've planted just over 100 cloves in various sites, using various different mixes of soil and compost, so fingers crossed!!

Last edited: 07 November 2016 17:04:43

• If you have an excess of home produced garlic you can preserve in brine.  Peel and soak in brine, give it a few days, drain and repeat the process.  Delicious and lasts for ages if done properly.  Often found in French and Spanish bars to nibble along with your drinks ! 

IME, Garlic is best planted in September/October........harvest the following August/September and start the process again.

You can use shop bought cloves for a chance 1 year harvest but , as others point out, whilst you may get away with it for the one season, it is seldom worth it.

• Loz46Loz46 Posts: 82

aym280, to be honest I wasn't planning on planting that much, I bought bulk on a very good offer, paying the same price than I would have got less than half the amount for, normally! I have given some away, and I do have an allotment so space isn't an issue :-)

Plus I love garlic!!! 

Last edited: 07 November 2016 20:06:22

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,152

I've previously tried garlic bought from a local farm shop. The bulbs were usually small and rust was a problem.

I've gone for five different varieties this yr bought from Robinson's Mammoth Onions. Their onions are huge so hoping for a good harvest next yr of garlic. 

Bought chilli and pepper plants from them this yr and had a very good crop.

• aym.....brine........the recipe I use is 2 oz of salt to 1 pint waterimage

• I have planted garlic for the last 5 years with varying success. This year things seem different. Firstly no rust yet, secondly my stems are very wide, much wider than ever before by a long way at well over an inch and lastly the leaves are in great condition. Has anyone else got a good feeling about this years crop based on how their's is shaping up?

Last edited: 25 April 2017 17:39:40

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 299

How funny, you have just inadvertently made me remember a dream I had last night. I pulled up one of my garlic and it was pathetically small and made up of 2 cloves. (not the most exciting of dreams)

Mine seems ok I think, this is the first year I have tried growing garlic so have little to go on. All of my garlic has large leaves of around a 30-45cm and all leaves look healthy. No signs of any issues. Are you meant to pull up a garlic to inspect or anything?

• I have never inspected it. If there is any issues there isn't much you can do about it is my thinking. I just scrape the soil surface occasionally as it's been very dry lately, to check for moisture and give them a good drink once a week, I added a little feed this week for the first time ever. Last year was not a good crop for me with mostly very small bulbs (similar to your dream) and the year before I had loads that didn't split into cloves so this season I added preplanting fertiliser in Autumn and sulphate of potash in February. I think it was cold enough this winter for them to split so fingers crossed. Yours sound like they are doing well.  Are the stems quite wide? 

• Terry29Terry29 Posts: 51

Can anyone tell me why the Garlic I planted a couple of months ago has started to turn yellow .