Forum home The potting shed

Just hoed up my green manure seedlings!

A couple of weeks ago I mulched an area of my vegetable garden with garden compost and then, as an afterthought, scattered on the remains of a packed of green manure seeds. Walking past yesterday I thought "Oh no! Look at all those seedlings coming up. That compost must have been full of weed seeds." I rushed to the shed and immediately hoed them all away. Didn't even realise until the evening when I was reading an article in Gardeners' World which mentioned green manure. Feeling really stupid now! (OH thought it was very funny image)

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,712

Even seedlings add to the overall mix. You could always put a layer of cardboard over the top of the compost , to give you an easy start in Spring.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I sowed some about 3weeks ago and they have all rooted. I really need to distribute them a bit more evenly. I will try not to hoe mine up.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I've never hoed up seedlings, not sure if there's a hoe in the shedimage

I've dug up bulbs half an hour after I planted them image

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,073

Thanks nutcutlet - that makes me feel a little better. I don't think I've ever hoed up seedlings before. I think it was just because they were an afterthought rather than a planned sowing so they weren't properly lodged in my mind (which is never very retentive at the best of times!)

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,913

I think most people who've gardened for a while are fairly diligent about labelling what they've planted. And the reason they are more diligent than newbies is because they've done something like this - or worse - on at least one occasion.

I couldn't get salsify to germinate - tried two years in a row with not a single one - until the third year I was a bit tardy with the weeding and realised the 'grass' seedlings I'd been carefully weeding out were in fact the salsify. image

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett

I was planning to leave mine in until spring and then take the strimmer over them and dig them in. I'm not sure what kind they were though as I've thrown the packet away! Not one of my more successful enterprises....

Doesn't sound or look familiar. I think they're some kind of mustard maybe.