Those blowsy, shapeless things.....

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

dahlias that is!  

They are blowsy, in your face, full of earwigs, need staking and have no shape or structure at all. image  On the face of it not my sort of plant at all 

So why then am I enjoying them more and more?  image

I am particular......brutal with those I dislike.....but I am growing more fond of them esp at this time of year.  Along with salvias and heleniums right now dahlias are providing colour galore image

They grow so large and can dominate the garden unless divided every year or two.  But it makes me popular......I give away my surplus every year.

So...blowsy, gaudy, brash even vulgar or are they indispensable? 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,114

Blowsy and shapeless, I thought you were talking about me for a moment Verdun. Gaudy, brash and vulgar, oh you are talking about me.

There's one more kid that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,never get to be cool.
  • B3B3 Posts: 4,993

There are dahlias for all tastes and even some for people with no tasteimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,106

Cafe au lait. First year from a bought tuber it struggled. This year it has huge flowers on a Bush five foot high. One flower would make a bridal bouquet, or just singly in a vase.  Love it.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Anne17Anne17 Posts: 81

I'm also a recent convert. They seem to fill a flowerless gap in between summer and autumn, and the red flowers amongst the autumn foliage are stunning. theyre in my Christmas list ! 

• Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,836

I grew Bishops Children this year.
    Thanks to so little rain this summer they're only just really looking good now. The dark foliage and tropical sunset coloured flowers warms me up just looking at them.
    Will def grow again next year

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
    Because if you do it today and you like it - you can do it again tomorrow.
  • I agree with you completely Verdun! I wasn't that keen, I think the foliage is a bit meh, but I got some mini variegated ones on my birthday (July) and they flowered all the way through to mid-October and they were gorgeous:

• Me too! I've always said I didn't like dahlias, but rescued some this year, as mentioned in an earlier thread, and they've wormed their way into my heart. Now going to look out for Cafe au lait, fidget!

• Hazel -1Hazel -1 Posts: 4,582

I have always loved dahlias, but the delicate,small flowered varieties seem to be becoming extinct here in the NE. Those in some gardens near here, are lovely and small with nicely shaped leaves, not too big, but can I Grow  them? No, I cannot.....not this year. They have been monsters which I donot  think look particularly pretty or nice.

I am not too keen on the big, brash, blousy  ones, rather like the smaller Pom Pom style or star shape or more compact starry types.

But there are lovely.....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,216

I love the dark "reds" like nuit dété and soulman and bishop of Aukland. They look FAB with yellow  flowering plants, rudbeckias, helianthus etc.

Throw in an orange like David Howard or similar, for something you'll either love or loathe.

Last edited: 30 October 2016 16:55:26

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,830

Star Child and the Honka types are gorgeous ... and I just love the smell of dahlia foliage - it's the smell of autumn and allotments and conjures up memories of buying a bunch of dahlias from a table by someone's garden gate image

I love the smell of chrysanthemums too, for the same reason. image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Mine have been spectacular this year -- a real Wow! factor.  Deep, deep burgundy (Black Velvet) alongside Tropical something-or-another:  pale lemon with bright pink edges to the cactus flowers.  A wonderful clash that has brightened dark summer days and have been going strong right into autumn.  I reluctantly put them to bed (ie cut them down and have them drying off ready for storing).  But they were still performing, although the burgundy were reverting to single flowers, and the tropical were fading.

Maybe a bit garish for some, but the days of subtle and understated are past - I want colour and zing!