Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Neighbour cut beech hedge back hard

Hi,

My neighbour cut back my lovely thick beech hedge yesterday on her side of it but in my opinion within my property.

I don't want to get into a boundary dispute so I am wondering if her pruning it hard at this time of year is going to damage it??! She probably took approx 30-45% off the total width of it. 

Will this cause long term damage to the hedge?

Thanks in advance.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I think it will be fine - just don't cut your side back to match this year.  The advice if you are trying to reclaim a beech hedge is to cut it back hard, one side one year, one side the next.  They regrow beautifully (been there, done thatimage) so I wouldn't worry.  And the advantage of doing it this time of year is that she won't have disturbed any nesting birds???

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I agree with Chicky - it will be fine - in fact it'll probably thicken it up quite nicely.  Nothing to worry about image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate it.  I have no need to worry so or more importantly have any issue with my neighbour. Cheers image

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

They will recover well, don't fear. They grow very fast, I had similar concerns before too. Also, will probably help keep down the wooly beech aphids. 

• imageThis is what happens when you plant a beech 'hedge' ...and then leave it alone for about 30 years!!

[It was a 'tied' cottage that I lived in from 1977 > 1988]. New occupants obviously thought it ok to 'leave it a while' before topping it?