Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

When to move a deciduous ceanothus?

I've got Gloire de Versailles which I inadvertantly planted over an old path, which was hidden about 2ft underground. Although it's growing and flowering very happily where it is, it keeps threatening to topple over and I've had to tie it to a stake. I have a gap in another border where it would look great and have more soil to grow in, but a) I've heard they don't like being moved at all and b) it's in full flower at the moment. Should I move it at all and if so, when? Or would it be better to propagate it and just wait for a new baby to grow?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I haven't grown it so just speaking generally.

I doubt if it has much future where it is so I would wait til it's dormant and move it with as much root intact as possible

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • No, it's been pruned every year. It's just struggling to form a decent root structure over that darned path. All the roots are growing out towards the front of the plant and none behind, so it's growing unevenly and tilting forwards because that's where all the growth is. Even one season's growth is enough to do this. By the time it's finished flowering it'll be cold and wet here - so would you say move it sometime in April perhaps? I'll be pruning it in February / March so it'll be nice and tidy then. What do you think?

Last edited: 29 October 2016 16:38:23

• I'm just sad for it, because apart from the uneven growth it is LOVING it where it is. It's flowering right now, so should I wait for that to finish to give it the best chance? Is it really likely to kill it Verdun? Oh, crikey, now I don't know WHAT to do image 

• Right, that's made up my mind Verdun. The stake does keep it up, but it's become an ugly shape and I feel sorry for it, when it's my fault I stuck it where it is. I'm going to leave it and take cuttings. I can't risk a probable death on my conscience!