Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Badger?

There is a reoccurring hole in a flower border outside my lounge window. Reoccurring because we keep filling it in and clearing up the dug out soil every few days!  The hole is against the outside wall of the house (it's a 200 year old cottage so don't really know what foundations are there), behind quite a large hellebore plant.

The hole, when it's been untouched for about a week, is about a foot deep, maybe a bit more, and about the size of a youngish badger. It digs quite vigorously, there's earth all over the place.  It normally happens at night and I see the hole and the mess in the morning, although once it happened when I was out for the afternoon and I have two dogs that were outside (they could have been asleep in their kennel I suppose).

whatevers doing it has broken some metal plant stakes (echinaceas from the rhs!) - the metal petals have been bent & ruined. No footprints or path because it's gravel adjacent to the bed.

Cant be rabbits as we're too low lying and just don't get rabbits in the garden fortunately. I've seen a very occasional squirrel. My guess is a badger - I'd really love to know who is the culprit. Any ideas? Thank you.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

It could be a badger - does the hole have poo in it? They dig latrines where they all poo to mark their territory. Another possibility is a fox. Does the hole give access to a space under your house which might make a warm winter hideout? Could it even be one of your dogs who knows better than to dig while you are watching? I would certainly try to work out the attraction of that particular spot.

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,716

Set up a nature view camera and you will then see what is digging the hole.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

If the weather is dry put some flour down around it and see if you get ant tracks. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks everyone 

Duh!  I meant 'any tracks' not 'ant tracks' - flippin phone image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

Chilli powder will cause great distress to any creature that comes into contact with it. I would rather make a temporary physical barrier until it goes elsewhere, myself.

Yes you should never use chilli powder to deter animals. It can cause awful burns and ulcerated eye tissue as cats, squirrels, hedgehogs, fieldmice and others try to wipe it from their paws and/ or mouths. 

Last edited: 30 October 2016 06:23:00