Wildlife pond

Work is progressing on my wildlife pond.  The dig is almost finished as you can see.  Work has been slower than I imagined due to a combination of work, family, rain and a recurring arm injury but I am getting there.  I have worked on getting the levels around the top of the pond right and am now happy with those.

Because of the rain I have had to bail the bottom out a couple of times and I worry that I may be doing more damage by trampling on all that wet soil.  I think I have found a solution by using slabs and off cuts of wood to step on whilsts working my way around the pond removing stones and sharp edges.  I have to admit that I have not been too fussy about the level of the shelves since finding out I can plant in sacks rather than rigid baskets.

All that is left to do now is smooth out the sloping bank and order my liner and underlay.

There are a couple of things bothering me so I thought I'd seek a bit more advice before I go any further.

General advice re installing the liner is to do it on a warm day in warm weather.  Since I won't be able to do this due to work patterns until the 2nd week in November might this be a bit too late?  I live in Scotland so could well be cold by then.  Another concern is the wet.  Obviously I can continue to bail as and when required but is there a point at which the ground could be considered too saturated to put in the liner?  Will me covering the area with the liner cause any future problems? Might I be better now leaving it until spring?  

Lastly, well for this post that is, I don't do much online shopping so can anyone recommend an online stockist for the butyl liner and underlay.  I have been unable to find one locally.  

Apologies for all the questions.  I hope that by asking so many questions now I stand a better chance of getting it right first time rather than having issues a year or so down the line.  Thanks again.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,153

I have this one, I have a 10% voucher off if you want it. I used it brown side up, not so harsh as the black. http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/pond-liners/pondkraft-polyex-pond-liners-with-free-underlay-and-lifetime-guarantee 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,653

Respect Angi! Your pond is looking marvellous.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Thanks for the recommendation Lyn.  I hadn't looked at those liners.  I went directly to the butyl ones on a few sites.  I'll look into the comparisons a bit more (maybe others will comment their opinions on these and butyl) and get back to you re the 10% voucher.  A very kind offer.

Getting the Ladybird4.  Feeling my age after all that digging!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,668

Well done on all your hard grafting Angi. I have to admit that if it was me, I'd wait till next year now to do the liner and underlay etc.

I'm in central Scotland and the ground won't dry out here now till next spring. If you have clay (which I'm guessing you do!) it could be an issue if you lay everything now as the ground will be compacted and could crack and shift when it eventually does dry out next year. You'd have to use your own judgement on it though.

The liner is awkward to work with if it's cold, which is the reason for doing it in mild weather. It wouldn't do any harm to get it now, even if you decide to wait till spring to put it in. I've always bought online for them too but it was a long time ago. I think it was Bradshaw's that I used though.

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,153
    Lyn says:

I have this one, I have a 10% voucher off if you want it. I used it brown side up, not so harsh as the black. http://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/pond-liners/pondkraft-polyex-pond-liners-with-free-underlay-and-lifetime-guarantee 

See original post

This is Bradshaws Fairy

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,668

I have a feeling I got a heavy duty liner but I don't think it was brown on one side. I know I got several things from them but it was about 15 or 16 years ago. My memory won't allow me to remember the detail Lyn  image

I know I did it in the summer though, so it was fairly easy to fit.  

Good luck with it all Angi. It'll be brilliant whatever you decide to do. The wildlife will thank you enormously  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 528

Hi Angi

Agree with Fairy wait until Spring too wet I built a pond in May and was glad I didn't do it last Autumn as we had loads of rain here in the North East same as this year lawns currently like a quagmire , After  looking a t a few different liners decided on 0.75 mm Greenseal rubber EDPM more expensive than some but not effected by uv light temperature or age with a polyfelt TS60 underlay felt , really pleased with service and quality from these http://www.flexiblelining.co.uk dig is looking goodimage

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Fairygirl, Thanks for your input.  Your reasoning was exactly as I was thinking.  No point in me regretting not having the notion a month or two sooner!  I can concentrate on the autumn/winter tidy up elsewhere in the garden to keep me occupied meantime.

holliehock - thank you.

Zenjeff - thank you too for your input and advice re liner.  Know exactly what you mean about the lawns it's getting rather squelchy underfoot and I've already done more harm than good working on the pond.  That's an issue for another day!