Forum home Fruit & veg

Onion, Shallot & Garlic Collection from marshals seeds is not growing

Hi everyone,

I’ve ordered Autumn Planting Onion, Shallot & Garlic Set Collection (Onion Shakespeare, Yellow Moon Shallot and Garlic Provence Wight).

The delivery arrived OK and I planted it as soon as it arrived.

3 weeks later in the same bed I have planted garlic sets which I got from my local garden center. This garlic has got at least 10cm of new growth now whilst not a single plant from the collection set is visibly growing.

Does anyone have similar experience?

Am I too impatient?

How soon should the varieties I purchased start growing from sets?

Many thanks everyone,

Veronika

• hello veronika. ive not planted shallots. i put some garlic bulbs in to garden and some in large pots in unheated greenhouse 1 nov and still no show yet .i did every thing it said on the packet .maybe some kind veg grower on site might share there knowledge with us . regards peter.image

Hi Peter

As mentioned on other post be patient the garlic will show I am sure

My overwintering onions Shakespeare are well settled now and have put on some growth but this time of year you will not get a lot so again wait 

Picture of my onion sets which were planted in October

Happy gardening

• Don't know if it is any use but I usually start my Garlic off in modules in Sept/Oct and then transplant - got several inches of growth now and see no reason why they shouldn't produce decent bulbs by next Sept.  It usually works well for meimage

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

I planted out onions and garlic Oct/Nov time none are showing but spares planted in modules in unheated GH have one inch shoots.

I think you need to be patient. 

• thanks zoomer44. il just leave them and try to be patient .regards peter.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,604

A tip I learned from one of the guys on my allotment site is to soak garlic cloves in tepid water for 12 -24 hrs before you plant. You get short white roots appearing at base plate. You can plant direct or in modules as Zoomer says. Either way the soaking gives them a head start.

AB Still learning