Forum home Wildlife gardening

Sparrowhawk vrs Goldfinches

imageWell, after have up to 15 finches this year the hawk has come in and wiped them out (no sightings for two weeks).  It's a shame but that's nature.

It was great to see it attack them however and just before contact a crow attacked the hawk knocking it to the ground.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,204

All part of life's rich tapestry. Beautiful picture Alan.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,077

They might have been scared off rather than all totally wiped out. We hang our bird feeders under the cover of trees and this seems to help as the Sparrowhawk doesn't have a straight line of attack.

In saying that I recently watched one take out one of the neighbours pet pigeons in mid-flight. Quite an eye opener. 

• Dave Humby says:

They might have been scared off rather than all totally wiped out. We hang our bird feeders under the cover of trees and this seems to help as the Sparrowhawk doesn't have a straight line of attack.

In saying that I recently watched one take out one of the neighbours pet pigeons in mid-flight. Quite an eye opener. 

See original post
    Last year Dave it took out about 8 or so wild pigeons that used to visit the garden (killing ground)

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

They are magnificent birds. There was evidence of a sparrow hawk strike two houses down the road from us this morning there seems to be one that has taken control of our close and we have had a number of strikes. They usually get one of the many pigeons around. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,077

The following is a very poor picture of the Sparrowhawk who took out the neighbours pigeon whilst I was day dreaming looking out of my home office window. He hit it in full flight knocking it to the ground in my garden. He then proceeded to pluck pretty much every feather off it before flying off with the carcass.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 960

This is nature.  Sparrowhawks feed on small birds; if Sparrowhawks are doing well in terms of numbers you can be sure smaller birds, generally speaking,  are doing well too, and not the other way around. Both of the posted pictures look like females, the first definitely is and Dave's picture judging by size also is female. 

Hanging feeders in close proximity to bushes is good advice; that way the small birds dive into cover when the alarm goes out.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Not really likely that a hawk would eat its way through an entire finch flock. The Goldfinch population is doing just fine: http://blx1.bto.org/birdtrends/species.jsp?&s=goldf