Forum home Plants

Identify this please.

ait_z28ait_z28 Posts: 14

Can someone identify this please, I also need watering tips as it seems to be dying on me.

I'm growing it indoors, temps are between 27c to 18c around the day (80F to 64F) with no direct sun light.

.image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,561

I can't tell without a close up of the flowers and a leaf but, for watering, when in doubt, I immerse the whole pot in a bucket of water till no further bubbles appear then let it drain completely.   This way it never sits in water which can drown the roots.  You can tell when it needs it by feeling the compost with your finger.  If it's dry one inch down it needs watering.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ait_z28ait_z28 Posts: 14

Thanks for the advice!

Here are some close-ups:

imageimageimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,827

Its hard to tell what the plant is but it looks like a poorly Azalea. I think the temperatures you quote are too hot for it as the flowers look frazzled, but I agree with Obelixx as to ensuring the compost gets well wetted.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

It looks like a potted azalea, in which case it's in too high a temperature. It will do better, after a soak, in a light porch.

SW Scotland
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I agree that it looks like an azalea. Mine are hardy outdoor ones so I'm clueless to advise on how to care for them as houseplants but I did find this link..

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/azalea/growing-azalea-houseplants.htm

It's on the windowsill of a room that has sheer curtains. So it gets sunlight but not direct. Would you recommend direct sunlight?

Kitty 2 says:

I agree that it looks like an azalea. Mine are hardy outdoor ones so I'm clueless to advise on how to care for them as houseplants but I did find this link..

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/azalea/growing-azalea-houseplants.htm

See original post

Great, this will do!

Thanks everyone.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,827

Definitely not bright sunlight. It would probaly be much happier outside.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312

Try to use rainwater for watering - azaleas don't do well if watered with hard tap water. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

If the plant was bought recently, it may be one of the tender azaleas which are sold pre Christmas so would be killed by frost.

SW Scotland