Perenial Bee Attracting Plants

Friends

I want to plant a permanent 12 inch wide border down the side of my 14 yard long plot on the allotment

I would like to have the best chance of giving the bees / butterflies / other insects a good food supply for as MANY MONTHS as possible

I have some lavender cuttings that will be ready soon and I intend to plant 5 at regular intervals. 

? What can go in between

I realise this is a very difficult challenge but sitting against my shed with bees buzzing past me this Summer was very enjoyable so I wish to have more of them in 2017

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,168

Snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils, early flowering geraniums like macrorhizum and pheum followed by later varieties of your choice for colour and form, then Japanese anemones, physostegia and sedum spectabile to take you into late summer and early autumn.   Probably plenty more but these have worked for me and will take you through most of the year.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,754

A few years ago I planted some Veronicastrum virginicum 'Fascination' (culver's root) - in all my years I don't think I've ever seen so many bees on plants - the buzzing was deafening (ok, well, not quite)

Agastache also attracts lots of bees

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Toadflax is a magnet for bees and has a very long flowering season.Aster frikartii also good and flowers for a long time. Michaelmas daisies are very good in autumn.

• My gaura are very popular with the bees and have survived well in places that don't get too wet in the winter.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

verbena bonariensis for late summer/autumn is great for bees

• Anna33Anna33 Posts: 75

The best plants for bees in my garden this year have been Physotegia (loved this!), Agastache 'Black Adder' (constantly busy with bees, and really long lasting), Echinops Ritro, Verbena Bonariensis, one of the common pink geraniums (with the bonus that you can cut it back & it regrows for a second lot of flowers), wild marjoram, and catmint for a start. Other things that have been enjoyed by bees included Erigeron Karvinskianus (Mexican Fleabane - spreads like anything but so pretty it will always have a home in any garden I'm in), Leycesteria Formosa (Himalayan Honeysuckle - large, needs to be chopped back each year, but loved by bumblebees), and the salvias I have (Hot Lips particularly).

Surprisingly the bees were only half-bothered by the Sedums this year, when normally they're crawling all over it - still definitely recommend these, though.

I had a few butterflies, lots of bees (thankfully), and one of the loveliest visitors I had in terms of insects were the gang of hummingbird hawk moths that came both at the start and end of summer.

I'm always looking for any bee/wildlife friendly plants to cram in, and next year will be the year of annuals to fill the gaps - if you're filling a border, it might be worth considering these as well, whilst the perennials are growing in size.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206

Thanks all

I will separately investigate all and make a choice

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream