Forum home The potting shed

would you move house for a bigger garden?

I bought my current home ( with 60x30 ft garden) last spring. I never had garden before and after getting this place, I really got into gardening. We are now looking at options of extending our existing home vs moving to another area. Since I and DH work in city, we have to live in London suburb and max we would get in our budget would be say 100 or 150ft garden in some house.

If you were in my place, would you move just for sake of bigger garden? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

we moved from Hampshire to Devon to get a bigger garden. Bit drastic, but our circumstances made it feasible. 

Devon.
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 497

I would love a 60 by 30ft garden! I would like to move to a bigger house and garden and dream of huge borders and a summer house. But the rest of my family want to stay put because of its location and nice neighbours. You sound like you have busy lives already, do you have enough free time to devote to a larger garden? However if it would be a good investment and you aren't over stretching yourselves financially then go for it.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,685

I moved for a bigger garden, for a town garden it was huge. The problem was I couldn't enjoy it.  Everytime I went into the garden I found areas that needed work.  I lived in that house for 15 years and hardly remember sitting and enjoying the gardens except when we had visitors.  I eventually moved to get a smaller garden and don't regret it.

I do miss the pond though.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • NewbNewb Posts: 211

Yes I do love my 60x30 garden. In fact we went for bungalow over semis just because of the feel of this garden. Though I wish I had some more space for growing veggies, 1 apple tree, roses etc. Yes busy life and I wont be able to manage anything over 150 ft i think.

That is why so much thinking. Is it worth for this change? If we go for extension, we wouldnt move from this place for few years. This is my little time window to decide what to do...

• Simon69Simon69 Posts: 68

We moved from E7 to near Witham, Essex. Twice the house, maybe four or five times the garden for half the price of a London suburb. It was the garden space we, well I actually wanted and we found more than what we envisioned. So happy where we are now with a fantastic spread that is developing, slowly but developing.

Transport costs obviously increased as the city is the place of work for one of us. Previously went to Liverpool St, door to door in around 25 mins. Now it’s around an hour and a bit but worth every penny.

Took a little adjustment to the new travel routine but all that was yesterday. Now we have lots of tomorrows to enjoy. Not only the fantastic gardening opportunities that lay within our new plot but the true feeling of escapism each day and the slower pace of country life with many new found gardening friends.

• Depends what you want more garden for - you could try to find an allotment plot and can grow anything there - doesn't have to be fruit and veg.  That way you get two gardens probably with two different soil types and aspects allowing you to garden in a different way.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

WE ARE ALWAYS ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A SMALLER HOUSE WITH A BIGGER GARDEN.

TROUBLE IS, ANY HOUSE WITH A BIG GARDEN THESE DAYS GETS BOUGHT UP BY A DEVELOPER WHO SPLITS THE GARDEN IN TWO AND BUILDS ANOTHER HOUSE IN IT.

SMALL HOUSES WITH BIG GARDENS ARE LIKE HEN'S TEETH ROUND HERE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I'd love a bigger garden, but we are both retired so have more time for the garden.image

So true pansy. When I search for houses, it is so hard to get something with large gardens. 

Actually thinking about it i havent got a lot of time as such. DH isnt interested in gardening and in fact for him it is already winter and he wont even go outside in garden now let alone do any work there. I work full time and with commute, office and household work, I manage to put in 3-4 hrs a week on garden. so no allotment for me image

But when i go to garden center, or look at plants/seeds online, I so so much wish for a larger garden. I would love to have a small veg bed, a greenhouse, some more roses, some winter flowering shrubs etc. Am I being greedy and selfish. Someone talk me out of it! 

my friends dont understand as they arent keen on gardening. I thought you lot will understand my dilemma.