Forum home The potting shed

Camassia and other bulbs in pots?

Another question for you lovely gardeners. This spring i fell in love with camassia plants. I have planted bulbs in plastic pots and put grit on top.....i have done the same with tulips but these are in terracotta pots.....where should i over winter the camassia pots and will the tulip pots be ok outside along my veg plot fence where they get some sun and are sheltered or should they be moved into unheated greenhouse, the camassia pots are in my net polytunnel at the moment?

Some of the tulip pots are christmas gifts for friends...

Last edited: 23 October 2016 13:22:46

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,556

The pots will be fine outside, but raise them off the ground, to ensure good drainage.

Camassia are not ideal for pots as they like damp conditions.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Oh thank you, i must raise them off the ground then, i'll do that somehow, thank you. I saw camassia for sale in pots at a plant fair this spring, that is why i thought i could put them in pots? I thought i could place them in the garden wherever i like then? Do you think they will be ok? 

I've spent a fortune on bulbs this year, my first real gardening year, with time to get things done. I've written on the empty packets where i have planted things as i know i'll forget!