Forum home The potting shed

Anniversary of National and Family Tragedy

Today, as you will know, it is 50 years since the Aberfan Disaster which gripped the nation in mourning.  At that time I was busy preparing our first house for moving in while Christine was a the local Teacher Training College.  There was a knock at the door which turned out to be a Police lady who had come to tell me that my Dad had been killed at Manvers Main Colliery.  We had been living a couple of streets away with my Mum and Dad so it wasn't far to go to comfort my Mum.

My Dad about a month before he died with our daughter Kathryn.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

This event has made me feel sad all week . I was 18 when it happened . The first major disaster in my life time.  We had visited the area from Bristol earlier in the year. Those tips were a deadful mess hanging above the valleys..

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,665

Too much sadness image

Last edited: 21 October 2016 13:41:51

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,757

My thoughts go with everyone concerned, I remember coming home from school and my (late) Father telling me all about it.

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031

A sad day for you Oakridge, thoughts are with you.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

How sad for you oakridge/Malcolm. These anniversaries are desperately hard for people to deal with when there's such a direct link. 

I had just turned nine when it happened but I remember it vividly. I can still see my Mum's face and her anguish. I felt quite emotional at work when I explained it to a girl there who's much younger than me, and also speaking to my daughters about it. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,730

I live in South Wales and remember my Mum and Grandmother talking about this awful tragedy. My Mum worked for the Gas Board at the time and they volunteered to make soup and food for the workers and helpers who dealt with the aftermath.  My Mum was profoundly moved by this disaster and I know she remembered this date every year. I think it is very fitting that this was headline news again today and that Welsh schools, organisations and workplaces showed respect with a minute silence. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • It was an appalling tragedy.  I lost my Dad on this day but in Aberfan so many families lost there children.  Mining gave employment to a great number of people - almost all my family worked down the pit in one way or another - but it could bring great tragedy also.  We will remember them.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

We lived in Newport at the time, so just down the road. It happened on my second birthday.  I obviously don't remember, but my Mum used to tell me about how she felt that afternoon - numbed by the tragedy.  

They are remembered, every year.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,913

Someone told me when my father died that it is the job of children to bury their parents and that makes sense, I suppose. A tragedy for you oakridge and my sympathy for your sadness on the anniversary - your Dad must have been greatly missed - gone too soon, too young. But, as you say, so much worse for all the parents who had to bury their children after that day. A terrible tragedy and - even worse - avoidable.

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett