Forum home The potting shed

How has this site changed your gardening?

B3B3 Posts: 15,072

Whilst mindlessly planting crocus bulbs, I got to thinking how my garden has changed since I discovered this site.

I am definitely more willing to try new things and have found the courage to take 'ownership.' Rather than caretaking the plants left by the previous owner, I have hoiked out unloved shrubs and replaced them with perennials and grasses.

I have also discovered that the shady side of my garden is now my favourite rather than a problem.

I have access to an invaluable bank of knowledge and experience, debate, a good laugh and the too rare pleasure of beating someone to the ID punch.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• I just wish that I had access to this site and sites like it as well as the vast resource of YouTube 35 years ago when we were looking to buy one of the LSA properties which were being sold off then.  We are very, very lucky these days.

• Hi All

Its a great site to give and recieve help on all aspects of gardening.I think back to when I was a teenager and growing my first potatoes in a patch of garden I had at the bottom of my parents house.Only a small plot but I did have some good potato harvests. I listened to gardening tips from my Dad and both of my Grandads.No online sites then just "Amature gardener" magazine my dad used to get. I think this site is a great help to first time gardeners

Regards

Jolly G

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

.....Apart from spending time on it when I should be gardening?image

Seriously, it has so many knowledgeable and experienced people on it that it's very useful  Regardless of long you've been gardening there's always something new to learn..

SW Scotland
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,072

You're right aym, it does tend to make you spend moreimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

It hasn't changed my gardening much, I still nurture what others call weeds, encourage wildlife that some would spray with insecticide, grow thugs, shun chemicals, have grass with extras, pots of germinating seeds everywhere, break all the rules. All much the same.image

• B3B3 Posts: 15,072

No that wasn't me aym but it made me laugh too.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

It hasn't changed my gardening,but a lot of friendly people with lots of advice on gardening and other things.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

It's given me lots of help and support, and not just in the garden. Lots of great advice from really experienced people. What a marvellous resource it is. image

The only downside is that I spend far too much time on it...image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

"sth" ?????

SW Scotland