Larvae inside just purchased blackcurrant stems

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,023

I bought some bare root soft fruits and an apple tree from Chris Bowers & Sons that arrived last week.

I planted them all last Friday and the instructions said to cut the Blackcurrant stem back to 2" above the ground. When I did this I noticed the middle of the stem was black and hollow and inside were some sort of larvae.

I emailed Chris Bowers on friday last week asking what the infestation is, and do I need to do anything about it.

I've not had a reply.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,230

I would expect that they send you replacement Blackcurrants straight away. Were you able to take pictures to send to them showing the larvae? They could be one type of many wood boring beetle larvae.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,023

Thanks Lb - I didn't take a pic. I cut one of the larvae in 1/2 when I made the pruning cut and another wriggled out. I think there may be more lower down, but I don't know how severely I can prune just the single stem that is the bush. If I cut it right back to the roots have I killed it?
    My first time growing soft fruit.

As I mentioned they've not yet responded to the email I sent last friday.
    I'm not overly happy that I've been sent a blackcurrant bush that is infected with something, if it's nothing to worry about then I'm not botherer, but I'd like to know what it is first.

Blackcurrants can virtually be cut right down to soil level and this is the advised thing to do when first planting them. They throw up lots of new growth from below ground level. It may be worth while cutting the stems back even further than you have already done and take photos of any damage. You have paid good money for these bushes and the seller is probably unaware of the problem and sent the bushes out in all innocence. If it is a decent company then it will be only too happy to replace the problem plants so keep on pestering.

Thanks again Lb - I'll cut as far back as I can tomorrow and take a pic if it still looks dodgy. Can I prune right back to the crown do you know?

Also just sent Chris Bowers another email

Last edited: 19 October 2016 17:56:30

Yes Pete you can cut back as far as that. Good luck with the emails.

Cheers Lb - I'll chop it right back in the morning - thanks for your advice

Just thought I'd post an update.

Despite 3 emails and phoning (no reply) I've had no response from Chris Bowers & Sons.
    Their website says they usually answer all emails on the day received.
    The 'chat' option on the website has been replace with a 'send us an email' option

I should have looked at the reviews on Google/Facebook before ordering - recent reviews are very poor. It seems that they used to be a good company, but for whatever reason they're certainly not any more.

I would give Chris Bowers & Sons a miss and look elsewhere