Forum home The potting shed

sore gums

Hi all, these past few days I've had a sore gum. I'm very good with my dental hygiene, but some times I will get this. Last time I told the hygienist,she said probably got some food stuck in it. But I do have a low grade gum disease,but they said it had improved a lot. Any suggestions on how to make the soreness go away.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,528

SALTY WATER USED AS A MOUTHWASH SEVERAL TIMES A DAY?

SINCE BUYING AN ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH I HAVE FOUND TGAT MY GUMS HAVE IMPROVED A LOT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Thanks PF, I do use a electric toothbrush. But I will try salt mouth wash.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,111

Are you sure it's not an abscess? 
    Slightly swollen gum and tender to touch when I had one some years ago.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Pete8,yes I'm sure,thanks

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,111

If it's stuck food, then floss or tepe brushes may help

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Pete8, I'll try that. I have different sizes that I use. Thanks.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,730

Oral gel with an anaesthetic in it will relieve the pain temporarily and salt wash will help keep your mouth clean. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • I find that I have a couple of gaps between molars that are susceptible to trapping food particles.  And sore gums, sometimes bleeding, is not nice!

Hygienist recommended dipping the little brushes in mouthwash (she said Corsodyl was best and I use that) before brushing between the teeth helps.  It certainly has helped me, and problems are now rare.

I also see that bacteria in the mouth can be a contributory factor with heart problems (reported in the press) so extra cleanliness is desirable on many fronts, it would seem.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,667

I was warned by the dentist to be careful with Corsodyl - use in strict accordance with instructions and only when necessary because of an infection, as it can cause discolouration of teeth if overused..  

I dip my Tepe brushes in Listerine.  

Last edited: 19 October 2016 19:48:06

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh