Forum home The potting shed

Do you bubble wrap your greenhouse?

Do you bubble wrap your greenhouse. I do not have any heat in mine but want to try and keep fuschia plants and other tender plants in the greenhouse over winter? If you do bubble wrap it, do you buy special bubble wrap  and can you use it again next year, if you take it down in spring? Thank you 

• I've just done mine today Loana.  I have a new GH, having moved here last November, so I had no bubble wrap left over to re-use like I usually had.  It's pretty cheap at the garden centres, and you can get little lugs that pop into the aluminium channelling to hold it in place.

I have learnt from bitter experience that trusting to a mild winter is often misplaced.  A sudden sharp frost can undo all the hard work of potting up tender plants. 

It will be taken down again in the spring, and rolled up, stored and put away in readiness for next winter.  I have also learnt to roll each piece separately and label where it goes in the GH - especially important if you have to cut round shelves/staging etc.  And it saves a lot of time - and temper - next autumn!

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,685

Yes I do.  I use a greenhouse heater set to frost free so it doesn't really heat it.  I ordered a bubble wrap recommended for greenhouse use and I take it down in the spring and reuse.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Yes I do.  Christine dropped on two large rolls when Staples were closing down in Rotherham.  They will last me years.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I have a little lean to greenhouse. I bubble wrap it, to keep fuchsias and geraniums. The only thing i forget to water them so all the fuchsias don't servive but the geraniums do. If I had a proper gh that would be different.image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,771

I bubble wrap my greenhouse and like Yviestevie I have a heater set to frost free. I overwinter my pelargoniums and dahlia and chocolate cosmos tubers as well as my epiphyllums which so far have survived unscathed for several years although I do keep a careful eye out for them. I forget where I got my bubblewrap but I still have plenty in my shed.

aym I do not use adhesive tape, I use little lugs like Shrinking Violet that fit nicely inside the greenhouse struts. I'm not sure if your lean to has these. I think you can get special greenhouse tape but I'm not sure if it marks or not and it may be just for waterproofing or repairing.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Excellent replies to my post. I shall be off to buy the bubblewrap and lugs, so i can get prepared! Fingers crossed i will bubble wrap it all and we will have another mild winter! I read also that i'm supposed to dig up my cosmos? That sounds a bit scary, it is still in flower at the monent. Do i wait for it to die write back. As you can tell i'm super new to gardening with flowers. I have had a veg plot for several years with success but time now allows me to romp away with flower borders, hooray ;) 

• You can get bubble wrap at most garden centres , the one I go to sells both large bubbles and small but the large is better.

it sells for about £1.50a meter and if you are careful you can use the same pieces year on year.

its well worth the effort, I use a electric heater with it set just above frost and it works ok.

This is my greenhouse wrapped for the winter.

• DHR ; I used to have a swimming pool in the garden of our previous house, so I know the bubble wrap that you mean. 

The bubble plastic for a swimming pool is designed to keep the heat of the water from being dissipated in the air.  It is heavy, blue (for the cheapest) and gold coloured for the most effective.

It is not interchangeable with bubble wrap for use in a GH.  Sorry, but it's heavyweight and far too shaded for use where plants need all they light they can get, by the end of the winter at the very least.  The product is also stiff and would be difficult to use in a GH.

Garden Centres sell bubble wrap for use in the GH.  Small bubbles are easier to handle, large bubbles have better insulation properties.  But swimming pool insulation is expensive and not right for the job.

And if you look after it, the orodinary bubble wrap will last many years, even if you have had to use tape to fix it.  I have done so many, many times.

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Wow, chrissy your greenhouse looks amazing! My bubblewrap arrived today and i think the clips will come tmrw....guess what i will be doing at the weekend! I'm amazed at the lovely replies i've had from such a mundane post, thank you all ;) 

• Loana did you see Fridays GW, Montys greenhouse was nicely wrapped up with bubble wrap.