Forum home The potting shed

Books, catalogues, magazines or digital?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I agree Scroggin.  Plant/bulb catalogues get ticks and ? beside possibilities.

I do use my Kindle but much prefer the "feel" of a book.

SW Scotland
  • For preference, hard copies for me.

I've been using a Kindle Ereader since 2008 - very handy for getting English language books when I lived abroad.  Fine for general stuff but anything containing maps, drawings etc. I find a pain as they rarely come up as visible in any detail.

Long live "proper" booksimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

books and celebrity free internet sites,  

I hate the throwaway nature of papers and magazines and their lack of any real content. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

If I want to read - it has to be a 'book', but I'm all for anything that encourages people to read, so if they do it online, it's fine by me. 

I'd rather browse online for seeds or plants nowadays - I just save the items or sites in my favourites or bookmarks.

I no longer buy newspapers either  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,685

Reading novels (which I do a lot of) definitely my kindle, used to take about 6 books on hols with me, now it's just the kindle.  Easier to carry and I can read in the dark.  Reference books, especially gardening books, have to be hard copies.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FifsFifs Posts: 45

With you on that one Scroggin,  much prefer to hold a book to read. Always have and think I always will. Having said that the internet does have many plus points especially the ease and speed of researching. I do a lot of my research for gardening online.  Sometimes though I do suffer from information overload and resort to gardening books!! 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,511

Kindle for holiday reading for the reasons others have already given.  At home I much prefer to read a physical book.  For reference books it's the actual book every time.  Same for things like seed catalogues.  Many new varieties would be missed by doing everything on line.  If you don't know something exists you are much less likely to find it if using an on line catalogue.

• For me it's a mix of everything, I use my tablet primarily for research (I use it for book reviews as well!), I do have a couple of cook books saved on there and for keeping in contact with people who live far away.   If I want to immerse myself in something it has to be a book - you simply cannot beat the feel and smell of a book!  I do like magazines but hardly buy them, the only exception is GW - I'll treat myself every couple of months!  Oh and I do love getting my seed catalogues through the post too! There is something quite indulgent about sitting down with a cuppa and a catalogue! 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I prefer magazine,catalogue,book. I have a Grattan catalogue, also a account with littlewoods. But the latar decided to go paperless,apart from statements. But they will change that sometime.image